Today is the first ever Tasty Tuesday at Dearest Dreams. Every Tuesday I will treat you to a tasty recipe that is related to a book I have been reading.
My featured book this week is Wings by Aprilynne Pike.
Buy, borrow or grab a copy and sit down to eat some "Winging it Divinity". I have to warn you, though I love to cook, I have never been candy savy. I like to add about a cup here and a few pinches there and candy is not as forgiving as a pot of chili. So here's my first attempt at divinity. It turned out pretty darn good, even though I was "winging it".
Winging It Divinity
2 1/2 cups sugar
1/2 cup light corn syrup
1/2 cup water
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 egg whites
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup chopped pecans (optional) or cherries (optional)
1. In a 2 quart saucepan combine sugar, corn syrup, water, and salt.
2. Cook to hardball stage, (260 degrees), stirring only until sugar dissolves.
3. Meanwhile, as temperature of syrup reaches 250 degrees, beat egg white till stiff peaks form.
4. When syrup reaches 260 degrees, very gradually add the syrup to egg whites, beating at high speed with electric mixer.
5. Add vanilla (I also added purple food coloring) and beat until candy holds its shape, 4-5 minutes.
6. Stir in the chopped nuts or cherries, if desired.
7. Quickly drop candy from a teaspoon onto waxed paper, swirling the top of each piece.
8. Let cool.
Makes 40 pieces.
What a fun feature! I'm scared to make divinity though.ReplyDelete
Thanks-I was too and by some miracle this recipe turned out great!ReplyDelete